Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bones Creator on TV Democracy, or lack there of

Bones creator Hart Hanson has insisted that television is "not a democracy".

Speaking to The Daily Beast, Hanson revealed that he has decided not to interact with any Twitter users he does not personally follow after fans insulted the way he was running the show.

"I was reading absolutely nothing that shed light on audience response," he said. "It suddenly occurred to me that what I was reading was largely just noise, much of it ill-spirited and, not to put too fine a point on it, dim... I didn't have to read all that crap. So I decided not to."

Hanson explained that he appreciates viewers' passion for the show but got tired of people complaining about his decisions.

"While I'm delighted that fans of the show think of it as 'their' show, that delight doesn't extend to any desire to listen to them tell me how I'm ruining 'their' show," he said. "The rude people - who are a minority but very vocal - are convinced that what they think about the show is what everybody thinks about the show and as a result they are furious when I don't do what they want. It's a kind of strange megalomania that becomes extremely wearing."



He added: "It's absolutely wonderful that we have managed to elicit that loyalty and that passion in our fans. But it's a double-edged sword... A TV show is not a democracy."

Hanson also revealed that he received personal attacks and threats on Twitter, saying:
"I realised these rude people were encroaching upon my personal life - my own fault, mind you, for opening the door. Which led me to ask, 'Why leave that door open?'."

SOURCE