Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

'Sons of Anarchy' TV Guide on the show's Media Attention

Question: Regarding the FX shows, Justified and Sons of Anarchy, I think they are awesome. Why don't they get more acknowledgment of their great stories and actors? I look forward to watching these every week. As to Boardwalk Empire, if Steve Buscemi does NOT get the Golden Globe, I will forever be disappointed. He has done an absolutely outstanding job in this series. I hope that it stays around for a long time. — Jan

Matt Roush: Depends on where you're looking for acknowledgement. The media (including TV Guide Magazine) give FX's shows quite a bit of attention and respect, and I included FX shows like Justified and Terriers (although not Sons, which I've never been a fan of) on my best-of-year list. But it's true that FX doesn't do as well on the awards circuit as it should, which can be very frustrating. (AMC has really stolen FX's thunder in recent years with shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and I've always argued that there wouldn't be an AMC without the breakthroughs on FX.) Regarding Buscemi on Boardwalk: I'm not surprised to see him getting this recognition at the Globes, the SAGs, etc., but to be honest, I'm rooting for Jon Hamm this year. Nucky's a curious character, for sure, and I applaud HBO for once again building a show around such an unlikely leading man, but the depth Hamm brought to Don Draper's emotionally harrowing arc this season is second to none in my book.